Carlsberg sold the Holsten Brewery site in Altona, Hamburg, one of the largest brewery sites in Europe and an industrial site since 1879. Carlsberg has bought a new site in Hamburg and aims to move its production site to this Hamburg-Hausbruch site in 2018. But not all employees will be offered jobs there. Carlsberg plans to axe 74 jobs in production and logistics which means about 1/3 of the current workforce in production and logistics will lose their jobs.

Carlsberg has opened its eighth brewery in India as it targets growth in the world's second most populous country.

The brewer confirmed that production has started at the Nanjangud site, near Mysuru in the south-west state of Karnataka. The brewery has an 80m-litre capacity and will brew all of the brands in Carlsberg's Indian portfolio, including Carlsberg and Tuborg lagers.


Asahi Holdings has relaunched its core beer Asahi Super Dry in the UK as it looks to Europe to make up for weak domestic sales.

The new Asahi Super Dry, brewed in-house for the first time, will be available in the UK on- and off-premise from today, Asahi said. Previously, Super Dry was produced in the UK by third-party brewer Shepherd Neame but the new version comes from the Padua factory Italy, one of the brewing assets Asahi acquired from SABMiller in 2016.

The IUF-affiliated National Union of Workers has signed an agreement at the Asahi-owned bottled water factory in Albury-Wodonga following a long campaign to bring the company to negotiate the creation of permanent jobs for the many workers stuck in casual employment.

Anheuser-Busch InBev's Brazilian unit is to increase its share in the Dominican Republic's beer market leader, Cervecería Nacional Dominicana.

AmBev said that it would pay its partner in the venture, E León Jimenes, US$926.5m for an additional 30% of the brewer. The move will take AmBev's total shareholding in CND to 85%, with the remaining 15% held by E León Jimenes.

AB InBev said it was done buying out craft breweries in September. Today news broke that the large beer conglomerate has acquired Australian craft brewery Pirate Life for $7.6 million. This is AB InBev’s second acquisition of an Australian craft brewery since September, when it purchased Sydney’s 4 Pines. (Since it’s not an American craft brewery, it looks like AB InBev has kept its promise, kind of.)

Heineken has laid the foundation stone of its first brewery in Mozambique, identifying 'promising long-term economic perspectives' in the African country.

The brewer said that the new site, in the province of Maputo, represents a US$100m investment. The brewery, which has a capacity of 0.8m hectolitres, is expected to come online in the first half of 2019.

Anheuser-Busch InBev's Mexican unit has announced plans to build an eighth brewery in the country.

Grupo Modelo said yesterday that construction of the US$800m facility, in Apan, Hidalgo, will begin at the start of next year. The initial capacity at the new Cerveceria Modelo del Centro will be 12m hectolitres, with the potential to expand to 24m.

Heineken has purchased a 49% share in London-based craft brewer Brixton Brewery.

Brixton Brewery said yesterday, via a blog post, that a partnership with Heineken would allow the business to expand. The move comes as the brewery, which launched in 2013, prepares to move to a larger site.

Brixton Brewery said the new site, still within Brixton, would take brewing capacity from 12,000 pints per week to 60,000. Brewing equipment is expected to be installed in spring 2018.

Anheuser-Busch InBev has declined to comment after the European Commission took the next step in an anti-trust battle with the brewer.